Community Rangers enforce the Litter Act and Regulations, investigate offences and issue infringement notices as required.
Litter is defined as all kinds of rubbish, refuse, junk, garbage or scrap and any articles or material abandoned or unwanted by the owner or the person in possession thereof. The Litter Act and Regulations include the following offences for which fines can be issued:
- Domestic or commercial waste – must not be deposited in a public litter receptacle.
- Insecure loads – a person must not drive a vehicle carrying a load unless the load is so arranged, contained, fastened or covered so that the load or any part of it cannot fall or otherwise escape from the vehicle, in or upon any street or public place.
- Littering – a person must not deposit litter, or cause litter to be deposited on any land, and/or on or into any water(s).
- Breaking glass – a person must not break any glass, metal or glass earthenware, on any land or into any waters.
- Bill posting – a person must not leave or post a bill on any building, fence, furniture, pillar, post, screen, tree, statue, wall or other object, or on or adjacent to a public place, or vacant land.
If you are aware of any littering or illegal dumping of rubbish please contact Community Rangers between 8am – 4pm on 0408 931 274. Outside of these normal core working hours you can send an SMS or leave a message on this number. Alternatively send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org